Man dies helping to save girl at False Bay, Cape Town

False Bay

A 29-year-old man died on Wednesday after apparently going into the surf to save a woman, who was in difficulty in False Bay, outside Cape Town.

According to Vaughn Seconds, the National Sea Rescue Institute’s (NSRI) Strandfontein station commander, at about 16h34 on Wednesday, Cape Town Water Rescue Network were alerted by CoCT Pro Lifesaving lifeguards reporting to be on the scene at Wolfgat Nature Reserve and performing CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) efforts on a 29-year-old man.

“They were also providing medical care to a 13-year-old female and a man, believed to be aged in his 30’s, and lifeguards were requesting medical assistance,” he described.

Seconds said that the NSRI Station 16 Strandfontein, Western Cape Government Health EMS, Life Health Care response paramedics and CoCT Law Enforcement and the Law Enforcement Marine Unit and the SA Police Services responded.

“Despite extensive efforts by paramedics to resuscitate the 29-year-old man, sadly he was declared deceased on the scene,” he said.

“The 13-year-old female, believed to be a disabled person, and the man aged in his 30’s were transported to hospital by EMS ambulance in serious but stable conditions suffering non-fatal drowning symptoms.”

Man dies helping to save girl at False Bay

Seconds said that it appears that the female had been swimming when she got into difficulty, the 29-year-old man was believed to have gone to her assistance but he got into difficulty and the man, in his 30’s, also went into the surf to assist but he also reportedly got into difficulty.

According to reports, an unidentified man also went into the surf and was able to assist them from the water, but he had left the scene before his details could be obtained.

“The 29-year-old man was breathless and pulseless,” Seconds said.

“CoCT Pro Lifesaving lifeguards at Monwabisi Beach had been alerted to the incident by members of the public and they responded and on their arriving on the scene they initiated CPR on the 29-year-old man and medical care to the female and to the man aged in his 30’s and the alarm was raised.

“The body of the deceased man was taken into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services. Meanwhile, police have opened an inquest docket.

“Condolences are conveyed to family and friends of the deceased man.”

Follow more RNEWS articles, subscribe to our YouTube channel and for breaking news LIKE us on Facebook. For news on the Eastern Cape click here.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest